>> Every few days, I think: This pre2k thing just isn't working out. I haven't posted since
January, and it was pictures. Travel pictures, which are just, well, travel pictures.
I'll blame it on a few things:
- There wasn't a clear mission for pre2k, but I mostly envisioned it as a place where people could post links to things they normally e-mailed to one another. Cool stuff, random stuff, show-your-friends stuff. The overarching theme -- everyone who has the ability to post to this thing was born before the year 2000, and one day, those born after 2000 will rise up and harass the hell out of us who thought the world (or at least the world of computers) would fall apart on Jan. 1, 2000. No clear mission = very occasional posts.
- The people who post here are busy. And they have their own sites. And because I haven't spent the time to figure out how to add comments, it often feels like we're only writing to one another. Uh huh.
- The new crop of full-time, commercial blogs (Gridskipper, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, to get all Gawker on you, and good ol' Kottke, who just started doing this for a living) really takes the wind out of your sails. When did the entire world start posting everything simultaneously, anyway?
But then I see posts like the ones from James and Guy and Carter below, and I feel renewed. Here are things that I absolutely should have seen somewhere, but I hadn't until they put them up. And when I read those posts, I hear James' odd high-pitched laugh, Guy's sharp ironic laugh and Carter's verbalized smirk. So even if we are the only ones reading this thing, I'm OK with it if you are.
posted by Bryan at 4:31 PM