|
The latest:
Wednesday, April 28, 2004
>> Audioscrobbler notes all the music you listen to and makes recommendations based on your tastes. Sure, MusicMatch does the same thing, but Audioscrobbler is open-source and does its best to stay out of your way.
There's some great music coming out soon. The Streets is Eminem by way of the Pet Shop Boys and Trainspotting -- hell, I can't describe it, and you'll either like it or hate it. I will say that their latest, A Grand Don't Come for Free, is one of the best concept records I've ever heard. It's the story of a relationship from beginning to end, with a broken TV set and a lost thousand-pound note acting as metaphorical counterpoint. You'll have to listen to the record at least twice to get used to Mike Skinner's flow -- it's terrible, but rhythmically so. Brilliant stuff. Jason Forrest is a cut-and-paste madman who makes amazing laptop audio collages under the name "Donna Summer." His latest record, The Unrelenting Songs of The 1979 Post-Disco Crash, chops up bits of 1970s rock tracks and reconstitutes them as psychotic -- but tuneful -- freak-outs that make Squarepusher sound like Yanni. I read a review somewhere that described "10 Amazing Years," the last track on the record, as "a Daft Punk track by The Who in its prime." You have to hear it. Have to. I could tell you about The Magnetic Fields' great new record i, but I'll leave that to Superfan #1. Suffice to say that Stephin Merritt shames nearly everyone else that has ever attempted to write a love song on a banjo.
Comments:
Post a Comment
|