pre2k.com
you never open your mouth until you know what the shot is
 
 


The latest:

Tuesday, October 22, 2002
>> 
I have always been pretty rough on Flash, since many Flash designers favor aesthetics over solid user interface considerations. Trust me -- I'm such a type geek that I carved letters into the bricks of my house when I was a kid (photo to come when I can scan it in), so I have a real appreciation for beauty and design.

But when you're trying to make a sale or convey information to people who don't always understand how their computer works, let alone how to use some weird-ass Flash UI that is slow and that they've never seen before, I think it's better to go with simple HTML.

Every once in a while, however, I see something that would only work in Flash. And if it's an elegant and aesthetically pleasing execution, all the better.

The Sonic Memorial Project is one such application. It's a collection of hundreds of sound streams -- ambient sounds, voice mail, radio, archival recordings and more related to the World Trade Center and Sept. 11. The project actively seeks contributions from anyone.

Load up the application and you're presented with a mix of sounds. Hover your mouse over one of the streams and you receive a description; click and the sound comes to the forefront; click to the side and it fades back into the mix. It's interesting, moving and informative.



Comments: Post a Comment
 
 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?