|
The latest:
Monday, March 04, 2002
>> I've always liked looking at old ads. When I was in college I'd often skip classes to spend an afternoon sitting in the depths of Getchell Library, leafing through the bound volumes of old magazines.
Even though I'm a complete electronic snob, there was something thrilling about looking at old copies of Life Magazine and thinking of the innovation, care and work that went into making one of the great American magazines. R.R. Donnelley, who printed Life, had to invent an entirely new press with heating units that would dry the ink as it ran through the units. Without dry ink, the company couldn't run the presses quickly enough to print enough magazines each week. Now all of those old ads are on the Internet and can be viewed, downloaded, e-mailed or made into your desktop pattern. I do love an electronic world, but I also miss those afternoons at the library.
Comments:
Post a Comment
|