pre2k.com
you never open your mouth until you know what the shot is
 
 


The latest:

Tuesday, February 13, 2001
>> 
"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
there's a great big beautiful tomorrow
and tomorrow's just a dream away

Man has a dream and that's the start
he follows his dream with mind and heart
and when it becomes a reality
it's a dream come true for you and me"


I was more or less raised on this hokum. The future of the 1964 World's Fair, of Tomorrowland and the "Carousel of Progress" -- that would be the future I lived in, I knew. Monorails to work. Peoplemovers to the suburbs. No elevators -- "Jetsons"-style pneumatic tubes.

I'm still looking for that future, I think. Why else would I be the only writer at a dot-com? In the fastest growing city in These Here United States?

Oh yeah, that's right. I'm also an idiot. If I had brain one in this fuzzy melon I'd have stayed in Bangkok and opened an internet cafe.

We had it all figured. Bryan would handle the tech, Deena would wrangle the finances, Kirsten would decorate and create a constantly-evolving "City of the Future" environment, and I'd be the host and DJ. We'd all split the advertising and day-to-day chores. At night we'd pack it all in, stagger over to Body Tune for a two-hour, 300 baht massage, then to Lot 24 for dinner. Paradise on Sukhumvit.

The name of the joint? "Mr. Vegas." You can take the boy out of the plastic future, but...

If only all my hopes and aspirations were on the monorail route. I guess I'll never stop looking for the station.



Comments: Post a Comment
 
 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?