pre2k.com
you never open your mouth until you know what the shot is
 
 


The latest:

Tuesday, January 16, 2001
>> 
So I'm sitting here tonight reveling in Life: 2001.

Kirsten is making me nauseous with her ridiculous snowboarding game on the PS2.

It's just unbelievable how far we've come from the Atari, Activision, "Winter Olympics." I was only 9 years old! Of course I was impressed by the graphics on the packaging, thought the game inside might somehow resemble what I saw on the box. I had no idea that all of the games for the Atari were pretty much the same: big dots in different configurations with different colors and weird bleeping sounds.

But back to 2k1. SSX looks better than the box. And while she's screaming through unbelievably realistic scenery, I'm burning a disc of Brubeck that I converted from vinyl for Carter.

I love the year 2001. Living in the future is cool.

This might seem at odds with pre2k.com, but let me explain. I haven't written the entire Pre2k manifesto yet, but this can be a start. I'm kinda drunk right now, so this is as good a time as any.

Pre2k isn't about glorifying life before 2000. It's just a place for those of us with 19xx on our birth certificates to hang out. Because in a few years there won't be different generations. There won't be the Boomers with their stupid Beatles (who else wants a permanent ban on this group?); there won't be the smug-ass Gen X'ers (Douglas Coupland has only written one good book, but he did coin the phrase); there won't be Gen-Y or Tweeners or any of that stuff.

There will be those born before 2000 and those born after. Pre2k and Post2k. If you were born at 11:59 p.m., Dec. 30, 1999, you will be mocked by those born at 12:01 a.m., Jan. 1, 2000, because of those two numerals. They will ask you about stupid turn-of-the-century technology like the Internet and digital television and DVDs and whatever other stupid crap we think is so damn cool these days.

So that's why we're all here. It's cool to live in the future, but we must recognize our Missile Command past.



Comments: Post a Comment
 
 

 

 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?